Pages

Saturday 6 June 2009

Rainy Day....

What do you do on a rainy day...
 
With two crazy teenager's who are bored?????

The answer is... take a quick trip to Trago Mills ( not always easy to be quick when you go there especially on a wet day when the world and his wife decide to take a little trip there too!!! ) and buy some HUGE canvases  ( takes more time to paint, therefore amusing the crazy teenagers for a little longer!!) , sponge, paint and glitter....
 
... and set about painting in the style of one of our favourite local artists... Yvonne Comber 
Using acrylic paints we set about sponging the background...

 
Ta Dah!!!
 
Then the fun really starts... Flicking paint.. we eventually decided that bigger paint brushes worked best... they really sprayed the paint all over the canvas .... AND the kitchen:: despite laying out plastic on the floor, we still managed to splatter the cooker, washing machine, kitchen units...
Here we go.. the first 'splat'...
 
Adding more colour
 


 
OOOOH... it's so exciting...
 

 
Oh, and we also managed to splatter feet....
 
... and arms!!!
 
So here is the finished splatted painting so far... not completely finished yet.. this one is destined for my Dad... called Humpty by his grandchildren ... he didn't want to be Granddad or anything else so, as his name is Humfrey, it was decided that Humpty would suit him best... it really does suit his nature and the grandchildren love it!
 
Next comes an equally exciting, messy part of the painting, and this involves more paint and glitter.. yay.. look at the shiny, glitteryness of it all.. I love it....
 
We painted spots of colour with our fingers and then sprinkled with glitter... and Ta Dah.... here is the finished piece... the photo does not really show it off, but believe me... it is beautiful and"Humpty" was thrilled with it...
 
A signed masterpiece....  from a granddaughter to her 'Humpty'...
 
I said it was messy didn't I??? 
We also splatted two other canvases, one for Harriet's bedroom and one for my lounge...
As you can see, we decided that it would be a good idea to finish these ones off in the garden as it was a glorious evening and I had spent a very long time scrubbing the kitchen clean!!!
 
The canvas on the left is for Harriet's room 
 


 
And here is the finished painting... It's so so gorgeous. I get so excited when I look at these canvases as the colours just jump off the page and the glitter adds another brilliant dimension... don't they remind you of summer gardens? ... foxgloves, lupins, delphiniums, daisies... What can you see?
 
This canvas is now hanging in my lounge and looks so perfect, it pulls all the colours together from my sofa, shelves full of china and the garden...
 
They were so easy to do and really didn't need any artistic talent, I would strongly encourage you to have a go ... all children would love to have a go and the results will be different, yet stunning every time.
I have been lucky enough to have a couple of days away in my favourite place this week... pics tomorrow.. and then came home to no internet connection, so have only just found out that I have won a blogiversary giveaway from the delightful Kitschen Pink... Yay!!! I am so excited and can't wait to have the parcel arrive on my doorstep... already planning where to put them... hmmmmm... let me think...
I hope that, if like me you've had rain today, you've found something fun and creative to do. 

Till the next time.. xxx

12 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Before even reading the text I had decided they reminded me of fields of wild flowers, I think I would rather like to have a go but I think I'll wait till the weather improves and "play" in the garden;-)!

Yvonne Temple said...

Good idea.. don't forget to let me see the result!

xx

Sal said...

They are brilliant pics!
I saw a similar one in Exeter,a few months ago and it was going for a lot of money too!!
I might have a photo of it..I'll search!

(P.S.I hate Trago!!;-)

Sal said...

P.S. I found it..on this blog post..at the bottom..lol..Sal ;-)

http://salssnippets.blogspot.com/2009/03/hearts-flowersstriped-shirtsand-more.html

Yvonne Temple said...

Hi Sal

Yes that's the artist..shame you didn't like the picture...great post though. I must admit that I am not really an Exeter fan, but you have picked out the best bits!! I agree about Trago, but it's a necessary evil sometimes!!

Take care

Yvonne xx

MyCretanlife said...

I think the paintings are realy lovely. I have not heard of the artist, but I could see where you were going with them. Thanks for stopping by my blog and guess what, it got really busy yesterday afternoon. Should have kept my mouth shut. Ha Ha

Tracy said...

They are great paintings, looked like lots of fun too. I will have to try that with my two girls.

Serenata said...

They look lovely, what a great idea!

Karoline said...

They look gorgeous, what a great idea

carol said...

Jackson Pollock eat your heart out!

Niki said...

They are beautiful paintings great job girls! Niki xxx

Martyn said...

Hi Yvonne.

My name is Martyn and I came across your blog whilst searching for Yvonne Comber's work on my mobile. My girlfriend and I love her original paintings but aren't in the position to afford the price of one. Having read your 'how to do' bit we are very excited and would love to have a go ourselves. We have recently redecorated a room at home and would love to be able to co-ordinate a painting to match it. Neither of us are arty types and I therefore ask a little more advice please. Questions to follow:
1. Is the acrylic paint watered down at all when you prepare the background on the canvas?
2. Can you water the paint above to blend the merging colours?
3. Are their specific sponges required for acrylic art?
4. Do you use acrylic for all other paint application and is it watered down to assist it 'splashing'?
5. What size brushes do we need to obtain from the shop (could be Trago too).
6. Is there anything I need to know about drying times with regard to application of glitter?

Think that covers it at this early stage. Sorry for all the question Yvonne but this really is a new direction for us. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards.
Martyn and Katie.
Ivybridge